Barney Family Stories & Histories

Family History of Alfred Alonzo Barney & Cynthia Delilah Barney

Family History of Danielson Buron Barney & Laura Matthews (parents of Alfred)

Family History of Walter Turner Barney & Sarah Matilda Farr (parents of Cynthia)

Return to HomePage

(Father of Frances Delilah Barney Echols)

Alfred A. Barney was the son of Danielson Buren Barney and Laura Matthews. He was born September 8, 1865, at St. George, Utah. When he was six years of age or about the year of 1871, he moved with his parents to Pine Valley. His father Danielson Buren Barney and Ben Brown put up a saw mill one half mile above Pine Valley settlement on a creek known as Spring Branch. The whole stream of the creek ran out from under a red hill. At first they had an upright saw with water power. Then they moved about one mile farther up the canyon on Pine Valley Creek and had a circular saw, with water power. Then again they moved up May Canyon which was about one and one half miles southwest of Pine Valley town, and here they put in a steam sawmill. They sawed lots of lumber at these saw mills which was used to build dwelling houses in the early days in St. George. The St. George tabernacle was also built from the lumber they sawed.

Alfred's parents lived in Pine Valley eight years or more. Two years of that time Alfred stayed with his grandparents Edson Barney and Lillas Ballou Barney, in St. George, Utah and went to school.

When in Pine Valley, although he was a small boy he worked with his father at the saw mills and set rachet and waited on his father. They owned a farm in Water Canyon, just over a small ridge north of Pine Valley.

His father was called to go to Arizona but was released to go to San Juan. Alfred was about fourteen or fifteen years old when he went with his father's family to Panguich, Utah, on their way to San Juan, Utah. They stayed one year in Panguich. When they arrived there they had 150 head of cattle, but is was a hard cold winter and a lot of their cattle died. The next spring Alfred and his father gathered their cattle which were then reduced to sixty head, and took them to San Juan. On their way to San Juan, on the Potato Desert, they camped all night. In the morning Alfred went to look for their horses and cattle. When he was about a mile from camp, he became thirsty. He saw a hole with a puddle of water in it, and he jumped in to the hole to drink. When he got down in the hole he was afraid he could not get out. He forgot about even getting a drink and tried to climb out but could not. He tried digging hand holds, but the rocks were so soft they would not hold him. He hollered every little while so his father could hear him, and still kept working trying to get out. His father found him about three o'clock in the afternoon through hearing him holler, and helped him out. He never did get him a drink out of the hole as he was too excited and forgot he was thirsty. His mother and brother Buren stayed in Panguich, Utah. When in San Juan they laid off a small town called Bluff City. The fields were in ten acre pieces. They built a fort around the lots of the town on account of the Indians. Alfred stayed here alone to look after their cattle while his father went back to Panguich after the rest of the family.

At Bluff City the river bottom was quick sand and they could not keep the water in their ditch. So they went to Colorado to a place called Lightening Creek, and logged for a sawmill. The next year they went to Durango, Colorado and sawed lumber for Barnes and Jones Company. Then Alfred and his brother Buren worked in the mill. Buren was a baring and Alfred run the edger saw. It was a steam saw mill, 55 horse power. One afternoon while they were running the mill about five p.m. the mill blew up. The boiler burst open. Two men were killed and two men were injured for life. The engineer was killed. Alfred always said that was when his hair turned white, he was so frightened. He always had white hair afterwards instead of black. They went back to San Juan for the winter. On their way they had to cross the Colorado River at Halls Ferry. (Also called a hole in the rock.) When crossing the river they had on the ferry boat five cows and two yoke of oxen; they were yoked up. Alfred was on the corner of the ferry where the cows were. When they were about one third of the way across the river the oxen began hooking and crowding the cows. They finally crowded the cows and Alfred off into the river, and then the oxen jumped off. Alfred was a good swimmer, and swam back to shore, as did also the cows and oxen. There were nine men besides Alfred on the boat to help take the cattle across. They could not turn the boat around so they went on across and then towed the boat up stream to cross back after Alfred and the cattle.

When Alfred was about sixteen years old he hired out to Tom Box. His cattle were on Potato Valley Desert, Escalante Valley, Utah and he was to move his cattle from there to the Lake, about 120 miles. Alfred rode his own horse and got 50 cents a day, and his board. He went to Escalante. Their boss told them if they saw any Indians going toward camp to get to camp before they did so they would not steal what they had in camp. They saw about eight or ten Indians going to camp with five or six squaws and children. Alfred made camp about the same time the Indians did. The first thing they did was to get off from their horses and upset everything in the camp. They kicked over the bake skillet and poured out their horses grain on the ground. One Indian tried to scare Alfred by pulling his bow and arrow toward him. Alfred laughed the Indian out of it. They stayed there about one half hour and rode off. Alfred then went and worked on rounding up the cattle. They had about one hundred and sixty head of cattle to take care of. They were thirty days making the trip, to the Colorado River, and then a week from there on. They tried three days to swim the cattle across, the river with plenty of help, but they couldn't make them swim, so they decided to go about three fourths of a mile below Halls Ferry and ford the river. They got them all across at this place in about four hours. While crossing, Alfred's horse fell with him in the river, and he went off in the water. His horse swam out, and Johnny Berry helped Alfred out to keep him from drowning. When they arrived at the Lake Alfred found his brother Buren and their own cattle of about seventy five head. They drove their own on to San Juan.

They stayed in San Juan all winter and in the spring went to Silverton, Colorado. While there they logged for a lumber company. In the fall they got a load of flour and went to Reco, Colorado for the winter. They went for Alfred's father and mother and family. On their way to San Juan, when they were going up a hill one of the horses balked and backed them over the edge. The wagon tipped over about four times and landed right side up at the bottom of the hill. The horses were on top of it with the tongue broke. But they were not hurt. Alfred's sister, Birdette, who was about five years old was asleep in the wagon but she was not hurt either. They had two little pigs in a pen on the back of the wagon, and they were both killed. Nothing else was hurt much. They straightened up the wagon and went on to San Juan. The first year they were in San Juan the Indians stole all their horses and run them towards Blue Mountains. They were followed by a posse of men. They got them back but Alfred lost one black horse and did not get it back for two years. They were two years in San Juan and helped get out a ditch. Alfred's grandfather came out and built two water wheels in the river for Henry and Theodore Moody to take the water out of the river into ditches. Theodore Moody married Alfred's sister in May that year. Alfred rode one night alone into Colorado, the same night a man, Peter Tracy, was killed by the Indians.

The year after the boiler blew up Alfred hauled a lot of timber for a Railroad. He made $20.00 a day with two yoke of oxen. The next year he was about twenty years old, and he went to Silver City, Colorado and logged. When they came out of the mountains all the cattle and wagons were shipped out on the train. Alfred drove over the mountain because the railroad had gone up the wagon road. He came back that fall and took a load of flour to Reco, Colorado. They were thirty days going from Durango, Colorado to Reco. It was only forty miles, but all over mountains. Around the mountains and over the road was 120 miles. On account of being out of flour they had to hurry into town. On the way back they got snowed in. After crossing the divide it snowed all night. There was about three feet of it and as they went along the wagon would push up heaps of snow in front of itself. They finally made it out.

They lost all their cattle and decided to go south where it was warmer. They went to Luna Valley, New, Mexico. In the spring Alfred's father went back to St. George, Utah to marry a second wife. She was Sophia Hulsey Underwood, and was a widow. He took his wife Laura and Sophia with him and his children all stayed in Luna Valley. He married his second wife in the St. George temple and then left her in St. George. He and his first wife Laura went to Cooney, New Mexico and hauled lumber. Alfred and his brother worked in Luna Valley and took;, care of his brothers and sisters.

Alfred and his sister, Rachel, and their father went to Gila Valley, Arizona. They liked it so well they decided to move the rest of the family there. They bought forty acres of land below Thatcher. Danielson, father of Alfred went to St. George, Utah and got his 2nd. wife, while Alfred moved his mother and her family to Thatcher, Arizona.

In the spring of 1888 Alfred was 23 years old and he went to the Chiricahua mountains and worked for Downing, at Welch's saw mill. He came back to Thatcher for the 4th of July. The following Sunday at a sacrament meeting under a brush shed in Thatcher was the first time he ever saw Delilah Barney whom he afterwards married. She lived near Solomonville, Arizona. He would dance with her when they would go to the dances at Solomonville, Safford,Layton and Thatcher. They would go in wagons, several couples in a crowd, to their places of amusement. The first time he went with her was the first of May 1889. They were married at Delilah's home near Solomonville, Arizona, January 7, 1890, by President William Johnson, who was then Stake President. Alfred and his wife Delilah went to Fry's Canyon on the North side of Mt. Graham. Alfred worked here at Joseph Allred's sawmill logging. A young man by the name of Dixon swamped for him. He drove a fine yoke of oxen or ten head. He received $2.50 per day which was real good wages then. Common laborers received from $1.00 to $1.50 per day. Alfred and his wife lived at the saw mill until the fall of 1890 and then they moved to Delilah's father's place near Solomonville. While here he built an adobe house for his father-in-law, doing all the work himself. Their first child Edna Lois was born there January 28, 1891. About March 1891 they moved to Pima, Arizona and rented a farm from Bill Ransum. While running this farm they lived in a lumber house of Haken Anderson's, above the Dodge ditch. They stayed there until about June 1892. They then went back to Delilah's father's place where their next child Joel Alfred was born June 28, 1892. Alfred and his wife's brother Franklin Van Buren Barney went up Maryhilda’s Canyon in Mt. Graham and took out a ditch, called the ancient ditch. Hundreds of years before the ancient people had had a ditch in the same place. They brought the water from this canyon down to the mouth of a holler above Layton, Arizona. They took up some land there and built an adobe house on it. They dug five different wells on this place over 80 feet deep trying to get drinking water, but the water was so salty that nothing could drink it.

They moved from there back to Delilah's father's place and their third child Frances Delilah was born January 28, 1894. Delilah remained there with her parents and Alfred went to Eden, Arizona and built a house for his cousin, Alec Wilkins. He then went to Mathewsville, Arizona and built a new house for Bill Carter, buying Bill's old house and lot. To this place he moved his wife and family, in April 1894. While living here he did mostly contracting and building. He built the church house and school house in Matthewsville, which were adobe; Bishop Bryant Boren, and Frank P. Matthews houses which were brick; Lotty Wilkins, Dave Mathews Jr., Buren Barney's and his own house which were lumber. All these were in Matthewsville. Then he built the following brick houses in Pima, Arizona: Haken Anderson (his brother-in-law) Frank Kirby, Joseph Alder and Inkstrums. In Bryce, Arizona, he built Ebb Bryce, and Hebe Maximums brick houses. In Solomonville he built a brick house for Judge Mormon. In Safford, Arizona, he built the Methodist Church house and dwelling houses of Mr. Parks and Mr. Hillsworth. In Thatcher he built his mothers house and one for Dave Phillips and the tithing office.

While living in Matthewsville their daughter Ada was born November 7, 1895. Their small daughter Frances was bitten by a rattle snake on the ankle, while living at this place, but she recovered from it.

In the forepart of July 1897 Alfred took his family and started for Utah to go through the temple to have his wife and children sealed to him. He had a mule team and a spring wagon. His wife's brother, Orin E. Barney, and family went with them for the same purpose. They had a horse team and a 3 inch wagon. On the way going Orin Barney was bitten on the finger by a Gila Monster, but he recovered. They received their endowments and were sealed to each other and also to their children, September 22, 1897, in the Manti Temple. They were a little more than three months making the trip, returning home in October 1897.

In the spring of 1898 Alfred was put in second Counselor to Bishop Bryant Boren in the Matthewsville Ward. Hebe Maximum was first Counselor. He was at this time ordained a high priest and set apart for this position by John Henry Smith.

Their fifth child Alonzo Turner was born in Matthewsville July 11, 1898, and he died July 19, 1898. Delilah, the mother, was very ill for a long time after Alonzo was born.

Alfred went with Haken Anderson to Rice Siding on the Indian reservation. They helped build the school house for the Indians while there. While at Rice, Haken Anderson was crossing a wash when a flood came down. He cited a point to go to and crawled rapidly on the bottom and got out. Alfred and some other men saw him and thought sure he would be drowned. Alfred returned home from Rice and bought 21 acres of land in Thatcher, Arizona from Winfred Moody. He paid him $570.00 for it. $240.00 he paid in cash and the rest in cows. Alfred moved his wife and family to Haken and Sarah Anderson's place in Pima. They stayed there about two weeks. Then he moved his family to his sisters place in Thatcher. (Orsin and Malina Nelson) They stayed there one week. Then they moved to his mothers place in Thatcher and they stayed there about one week. By this time he had moved their granary from Matthewsville up to Thatcher on their land and they moved into it, about January 1900. The granary was one small lumber room five feet wide and twelve feet long. Boards were put across one end for the parents bed. But it was too short for them to straighten out. The children's beds were made on the floor at night and taken up in the day time. There was just room enough on the floor to make them, so they could all lie down. Delilah, the mother was sick and could not raise up only when propped up in bed. But after a few weeks she was able to walk with some one to help her. The land they bought was not cleared. It had mesquite brush on it. In a short time Alfred, the father, got material and built quite a large lumber room beside the granary. He cleared four acres of ground which was all that was under the Union Ditch. In the spring he planted it. He stayed at home until his wife was able to walk and cook for the children then he went away to work again.

The winter of 1900-1901 he built quite a large adobe room which made them quite comfortable. Alfred then went to Hubbard, Arizona and built a house for Jim Porter. He dug lots of wells for people and walled them up with brick. He went to Globe and hauled stulls. He worked on the east end of Mount Graham and hauled lumber from George Jacobson's sawmill. Every time he was home he would grub stumps and farm the land he had cleared. While he was away his children and wife would make small gardens. He built two houses in Thatcher, one for Thomas Kimball and the other for Ren Cutler. He also helped with the mason work on the new sand stone Church House in Thatcher.. He joined the carpenter gang and helped build the depots and section houses on the Arizona Eastern Railroad that run from Bowie to Globe through the Gila Valley. Before the Railroad came through he freighted from Wilcox to Globe. Alfred and some other men bought some shares of water in the Montezuma Canal, and made the Montazuma Canal extension down to his place which put all his land under water. The ditch came quite a bit above his land so he bought 80 acres of Jose Claridge. This 80 acres had been filed on by Mr. Claridge but he had not proved up on it. So he relinquished his rights and let Alfred file on it. Part of the 80 acres was hills and hollers above the ditch but it had three springs of water on it and made a very good pasture for cattle.

Alfred was very ill with pneumonia and was given up to die by most of his relatives, but through the faith and prayers of his wife and children he was spared.

He built three lumber rooms on his homestead and moved there. He put in about eight acres of all kinds of fruit trees on his Thatcher place. His 80 acres of homestead joined his 20 acres.

Alfred's father-in-law (W.T.Barney) bought property in Matthewsville and decided to move down there, so Alfred rented his ranch at Solomonville. It was in the spring of 1906. There were 160 acres, of his father-in-law's place, and he rented it for one year. In the winter of 1907 Alfred and his brother-in-law, Orsin Nelson, bought the Henry Dial ranch. It joined the Walter T. Barney ranch in Solomonville. There were two hundred acres of land in the ranch. Alfred took one hundred acres for his and his brother-in-law took the other hundred. Alfred sold 40 acres of his to make the payments on the other 60 acres. He paid $5000.00 for the hundred acres. He soon bought another 40 acres, making him a hundred again. It was nearly all into alfalfa hay. The second year he was on the Dial ranch, he and his father-in-law, Walter T. Barney, went on the train from Solomonville to El Paso, Texas. They then bought a return ticket from there to all the important cities in Old Mexico, and back. The day before arriving at Mexico City Alfred got off for lunch and when he got back, the car he had been on was switched off and taken up to a mine. Walter T. Barney had stayed on the car with all their luggage. Alfred went on to Mexico City and arrived there at 9 p.m. Walter came on the next morning at 9 a.m. They finally found each other after a lot of worry. They went from there to Cardover, Mexico. From there they bought a ticket to Vera Cruz for $10.00 Mexican money. It was about 1500 miles. About.40 miles from Vera Cruz they had to sleep in a bed that was so damp their bedding was like it had been dipped in water. But they got up feeling quite fine. They went to Tampico, Old Mexico. Walter T. Barney had bought some rubber stock there but it was a fake. When he got there he was inquiring about his rubber stock of a man, and he told him he would rubber a long time before he would see any. The trees had been planted but never amounted to anything. He never went to find out any more after the man said what he did. He also had banana stock there too but he did not go to see it either. They were both big fakes. They saw fields of bananas, coconuts, pineapples, papayas, coffee, mahogany and other tropic trees. They were about thirty days making the trip. About two years later Alfred and his brother-in-law, Franklin Van Buren Barney, went to Old Mexico again. They were gone about thirty five days on this trip and went over about the same ground as Alfred had before. When they got to Monterrey it was about 9 p.m. and the teller said, "there is your train." They got on the train and it left at 9:05 p.m. It took them the wrong way. Alfred went to sleep and Van woke him up and said "We are on the wrong train." They went to the conductor and told him they wanted to go to Tampico, but he said he could not take them there as they were on the wrong train, and told them where to get off. They got off in the night, and waited until 9 o'clock the next morning, when they went back to Monterrey. At this place they had to wait until 9 o'clock in the evening for the train to take them on. They were in Monterrey right after a large flood had been there and had killed forty thousand people. There was still the remains of the flood. They saw rubber trees there and went on small ponies out in the country to a lumber company.

When they were living on the Dial Ranch they continued to live on their homestead in Thatcher until it was proved up on. At this homestead house on the 11 of April 1911, their oldest daughter Edna was married to Bennoni Scott by John F. Nash, a member of the Stake Presidency.

In 1912 they sold their ranch at Solomonville for $10,000.00 to Curt Johns, Alfred's brother-in-law. Alfred and his family moved back to their Thatcher place. There they built them a new cement brick house of five rooms and bath, with all the modern conveniences. Just before the house was all finished Alfred was called on a mission to the Northwestern States Mission. He left for this mission 28 April 1913. His Mission President was Apostle Melvin J. Ballard. While there he saw his sister Sadie Stevans and family in Oregon, whom he had not seen for many years. He traveled in the States of Montana, Washington and Oregon on his mission.

In October 1914 their daughter Frances was married to Joseph Alma Echols in the Salt Lake Temple.

On his return home from his mission he visited the World Fair and Exposition at San Francisco, California in 1915. He returned home from his mission 25 March 1915.

On June 8, 1915 their daughter Ada left for a mission to the Central States. President Samuel 0. Bennion was her mission president. She labored in Kansas and Missouri on her mission. She returned home June 1, 1917.

The World War was declared, April 6, 1917, and all men that were single between the ages of 21 and 31 were drafted into the army. Their son Joel was called to go on a mission to the Central States Mission and was to have been in Salt Lake City September 19, 1917, but he was among the first to be drafted into the army and could not get released. So he was honorably released from his mission by the President of the Church, President Joseph F. Smith. He left September 19, 1917, for the army. He went to Camp Funston, Kansas for training. He went to France and remained there until after the Armistice was signed. He was in the supply department. He returned home and was released from the army in June 1919.

In the spring of 1918 Alfred went over to Pomerene, Arizona where his oldest daughter Edna and family were living. He liked it so well that he traded his property at Thatcher to John Sabin and Perry Tryon for their property in Pomerene, in the summer of 1918. After having the property at Thatcher and letting it run down to nothing for a few months, John Sabin and Perry Tryon decided they wanted to have their property back at Pomerene. They sued Alfred for it back. Alfred lost the case through their falsehoods. Not having any money to go on with the case, he gave his place in Thatcher as security to Haken Anderson for the money, and he appealed it to the higher court and lost. So Tryon and Sabin got their places in Pomerene and Alfred gave his property in Thatcher to Haken Anderson. Alfred and Delilah were left without a home. They moved into their son Joel's place in Pomerene. March 1920 their son Joel was married to Florence Coons of Pomerene at Tombstone, by the Justice of the Peace.

Their daughter Ada, their last child, was married April 1, 1920 in the Salt Lake Temple to Charles M. Plumb, by Andrew Peterson.

The 27th of June 1921, Alfred,and Delilah left Pomerene for Utah. They had a good pair of mares and a two and one half inch wagon, to go in. They arrived in St. George, Utah, July 30, 1921. There they bought a small lot and lived in a boarded up tent on it. Their daughter Edna and family also went to St. George to live in about a year. While in St. George they worked for the dead in the temple there. They received a great deal of their family records and genealogy while there. The last of May 1923 their daughter Ada and her family also sold out their things in Arizona and moved to St. George, Utah. But they did not like it there to live so they returned back to Arizona December 1, 1923.

July 7, 1925 Alfred and Delilah left St. George, Utah to go to the Shepard Reunion (Some of the Shepards had married into the Barney family.) They went up Spanish Fork Canyon to a resort, Castilia Springs and stayed three days. While there they organized a Barney Reunion, which has continued to hold their reunions every year since. They left this place July 13, 1925, and went to Spanish Fork, Utah, and visited relatives for two weeks. Then they went to Salt Lake City, where their daughter Edna and family had previously moved from St. george. While in Salt Lake Delilah worked in the Genealogical Society, and in the Salt Lake Temple. Alfred did some temple work but also spent much time trying to find work to make a living. But being an elderly man with snow white hair he could only find a little job once in awhile. Alfred left his wife in Salt Lake September 1926 and went to a little place about eighty miles south called Elberta, Utah. Here he got work picking apples. In November 1926, he returned to Salt Lake and got his wife and left in a Ford car with the intentions of going back to Arizona. When he got to Elberta to collect the rest of his wages, his car broke down and he had to do some work on it. It was very cold and snowed, so they decided to stay there for the winter. Before spring he bought ten acres of land, and remained in Elberta to live.

Their daughter Edna took sick in Salt Lake and was taken to her mother's at Elberta. She remained there until well, her husband and family moved there to Elberta also, later moving to Payson, Utah.

The summer of 1926 their son Joel and family moved from Arizona to Elberta and bought property there.

The 20th of May 1929 their daughter Ada with her five children came from Arizona and Visited them in Elberta for four weeks.

Their son Joel and family left in the fall of 1929 for a visit to Arizona but returned back in March 1930.

Alfred and Delilah made trips back and forth to Manti, and Salt Lake, doing genealogical and temple work, accomplishing a great deal along this line.

In July 1931 their daughter Ada and family visited them again in Elberta, they had been on a tour around the U. S. and stopped on their way home.

The fall of 1932 they went to Salt Lake City and remained there until the summer of 1933, doing nothing but temple work.

Their son Joel went to Boulder City, and Las Vegas, Nevada to work on the Boulder Dam. His family went with him. While there he got blood poisoning in his hand, and it went into his hip and left him a cripple. It also caused, his death later.

Their daughter Ada and husband visited them again in April, 1934, also in October 1934, also in October 1936 and in October 1938.

Thanksgiving day November 24, 1938, their only son Joel A. Barney died at his home in Elberta, Utah. He left a wife and family of seven children, the oldest one being seventeen. It was a great grief to Alfred and wife. Joel was buried Sunday November 27, 1938 in the Payson Cemetery. All of the three daughters of Alfred and Cynthia were present at their brothers funeral. They were: Edna Scott of Payson, Utah; Frances Echols of Pima, Arizona; Ada B. Plumb of St. David, Arizona.

Alfred and wife spent the years of 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, and 1938 in Salt Lake and Manti, doing work for the dead in the temples. They did work for thousands of their kindred dead. They worked in the Manti temple during 1939 and fall of 1940.

November 4, 1940, Cynthia had a stroke while sitting with her husband around the fire, in their own home in Payson. Her left side was paralyzed. Alfred never seemed the same after his wife's illness, especially after she died, which was January 14, 1941. He seemed to not know what to do with himself. He deeded his house and lot to his granddaughter, Lois Wickers, if she would take care of him the rest of his life. He would roam around at night in the cold winter. He wasn't satisfied with anything. He went up to Provo himself and died there 24 July 1942. He was buried in Payson at the side of his wife. It was a blessing he could go on and join his wife, whom he never seemed to be able to live without.

Many people would welcome him and his faithful wife in the spirit world, the ones they so willingly did temple work for.

(Mother of Frances Delilah Barney Echols)

Cynthia Delilah Barney was born July 24, 1865, in Circleville, Utah. She is the Daughter of Walter Turner Barney and Sarah Matilda Farr, and the wife of Alfred Alonzo Barney. They were among the early converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Her father, Walter T. Barney, remembers seeing the Prophet Joseph Smith, and knew how the saints had felt at the martyrdom of the Prophet. Cynthia's grandfather, Lewis Barney, was one of the first Pioneers who came to Utah with President Brigham Young. Lewis was one of the main hunters for the Company. Lewis's brother, Walter Barney, was one of the Mormon Battalion who went to California to fight in the American and Mexican War..

The Barney family crossed the plains in 1852. They were in Bryant Jolley's Company. Lewis Barney was Captain over one of the 10's in the Company. His father Charles Barney and family came at the same time.

Cynthia's grandmother, Sarah Russ Farr, was a widow. She joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Ohio. Her husband, Elbridge Farr, was dead. His people were very bitter against her for joining the Church, commonly known as the Mormon Church. (A nickname it received for having the Book of Mormon.) His people would not let her sell any of her property to migrate to Utah, where the saints were settling, so she had to get there the best way she could. She let her daughter, Sarah Matilda Farr, (Cynthia's mother) go to Utah in 1852, with a blind woman. She walked all the way and led the blind woman. She received what she could eat as pay. The mother expected to go to Utah the same year with the next company, but she could not get enough to go with until the next year, 1853. Sarah was just eight years old when she went to Utah. Every time a company would come to Utah she would watch very hard for her mother, and was disappointed each time until her mother came. The blind lady was good to her and she had something to eat while she stayed there with her. She was good to the blind lady and took good care of her, and did her work well. Neighbors seeing how good she was to the blind lady and how good she did the work, they begged Sarah to leave the blind lady and live with them. Being a child she did not realize what she was getting into, but listened to their flattering and left the blind lady and went with them. They were not good to her but made a slave of her while she was with them. While there she had the chicken pox and they made her gather snow and melt it and do the washing while she was broke out with them. They were very unkind to her all the time. When her. mother came she only had three small children with her. She had left the four older children, because they refused to come and join the Mormons. She did not have anything to live on so Sarah still had to work for a living, but her mother found another family for her to stay with, that treated her much better.

Walter Turner Barney (Cynthia Delilah Barney's father) came to Utah in 1852 with his parents and grandparents. When he was eighteen years old he went with Sanders by mule team to San Bernardino, California. He remained in California two and one half years, then he returned to Utah where his parents were. He married Sarah Matilda Farr 13 October 1858. They were married by John L. Butler at Spanish Fork, Utah. They lived at this place until their son Walter Francis was born July 8, 1859. The child died when fifteen months old, October 9, 1860. Then they moved to Springville, Utah where their daughter Sarah Elizabeth (Sarah Anderson, wife of Haken Anderson) was born, April 9, 1861. Then they moved back to Spanish Fork, but soon moved to Springtown, Sanpete County, where Alonzo Marion was born May 23, 1863. Then they moved to Circleville, Piute County, Utah, where Cynthia Delilah the subject of this sketch was born July 24, 1865. The people in the town celebrated that day and the parade went in front of their house and Cynthia's mother could see them from her bed. Before her mother was out of bed her little son Alonzo took scarlet fever. They could not get a doctor nor medicine and he died August 6, 1865.

During the Black Hawk Indian war on November 25, 1865, William Orson Barney (Cynthia's father's youngest brother) was killed by the Indians. William Orson Barney was a boy thirteen years old, but was large for his age. He crossed the Sevier River early in the morning, not knowing there were any Indians near, to take the cows to feed. The Indians seeing him got between him and his home. He ran like a deer but they shot him with arrows, then they caught him and beat him to death. He was not found until the next day. He was stripped of his clothes and left dead. The Indians afterwards bragged about what a runner they had killed. The Indians were so bad, and the settlement being small, the settlers were forced to move away. Cynthia, and her sister Sarah with their parents moved to Beaver, Utah. Here their father cradled wheat for provisions. They stayed there that winter. The next spring, 1866, they moved to Lower Corn Creek, but had left their cows in Beaver.

Cynthia's mother weaned her, not having milk, or anything a baby could eat but bread and potatoes, so she lived on bread and potato soup. In the fall they moved to Upper Corn Creek, (Later called Kanosh.) Here her father and mother bought some land in the field and two city lots in town, and they built a log house. In the spring of 1867 Sarah Elizabeth and Cynthia took the whooping cough. Sarah had it light but Cynthia had it very hard. There were weeks they had to stay right by her to keep her from choking to death. There was not much to be had in the country. The women had to boil ashes and put lime water in it to make soap. Cynthia's grandmother Farr came to visit them and while there they made soap. She had made one batch of soap and had ashes boiled with lime in it for the next batch. She had it in a homemade wooden tub settling just outside the door. It was cooled and almost settled. The mother was cutting the finished soap and putting it up on a loft to dry. She had told the girls not go outside, but by looking in the ashes and lime water in the tub they could see their selves like in looking glass. As soon as the mother stepped up to put up the soap the girls ran out to look in the tub. Cynthia fell in and Sarah pulled her out and screamed, "Delilah is in the lye." When her mother got to her she was struggling. They washed the ashes off, and grandmother Farr melted grease as soon as possible and poured it down her and greased her all over to keep the lye from eating her. They also poured her ears full. By this time her eyes were swollen shut and so bad they could not get them open to grease them. She did not swallow any but her mouth was raw so she could not eat. She just had to drink her food. They kept her washed in vinegar and rubbed in grease. They thought she might be blind but in about two weeks her father pulled her eye lids apart and she said "I saw the window," so then they knew she would be able to see.

Cynthia started to school when she was about eight years old. Her cousin Mary Barney was two years younger, but they both went to school at the same time. Their mothers had made them new pink sun bonnets. Their teacher had hung them up but they were so proud of them and were afraid they might get lost so they kept going and getting them. Their teacher scolded them but they would hold their bonnets anyway. Their teacher was Peggy Ann Carter. They learned fast. They sang the multiplication tables and all the rules in arithmetic they had to learn. They did not have any books to commence with but they had a slate and pencil. The larger children had books. The teacher put the words on the black board, then the teacher would take lead and they all spelled out loud in concert, the easy words they would spell four or five times, the harder words more times. The school was in a big adobe school house. The next winter they went to Susan Black's School, which she held in her front room. They studied spelling out loud there, but not in concert. Her home was on the east of town and they had much farther to walk, but there was a pond close to her place where they would slide and skate on the ice, which they enjoyed very much. When the deep snow would come the men would take a team and scraper and go up and down the side walks to make paths so they could go to school.

They used to speak pieces in Sunday School. Sarah and Cynthia's father learned them and would go with them every Sunday to Sunday School. At the end of the year they gave prizes to the best speaker. Volney King, a grown young man won the boys prize and Cynthia won the girls prize when she was ten or twelve years old. They each received as prize a nice bound book of the scenery of the Yosemite Valley in California and an explanation of its trees and scenery. They then went to the adobe school house again. The teacher was a Mr. Savage. He let the children do about as they pleased. Some of the big girls, Zina Riddle and Duck Wats and a few of the others run him out of school. Then they had Billie Damron and he let them study anything they wanted to. The next few years they had a fine teacher, Madie McAllester. She taught elocution and had plays and theaters. They built a brick meeting house and school house, but still used the adobe for a dance hall. Benjamin Goddard and his sister-in-law taught there. They were just from England, new converts to the Church. They were great singers and taught singing. They gave Bible sessions once a week.

There were lots of flowers and grass in the sage brush, when they first settled in Kanosh. Above the town on the east side was covered with sage brush and on the foot hills was a blue grass, that the cattle did well on. The wild flowers were Red Indian, Blue Bells, and white Sego Lilies and others. The school children

would gather them by the arm loads and put them in tubs of water to decorate the school house for their programs on celebration days. Cynthia with the other children always enjoyed the flower gathering days. Below the town on the north was the meadows where the men cut the grass for hay, before they had alfalfa planted. The men mowed with a scythe. Cynthia remembers well when they did this kind of work. The men would change work and help each other. They would cradle the grain and bind it with the grain straw. She remembered the first harvester or droper that came to Kanosh. Quite a number of the men went in together and purchased it. The men and women and children all went to see it cut the grain and drop it in little piles. The men followed it with a little rake and bound the grain in bundles. She also remembers her mother spinning yarn and weaving cloth. They took their wool to Sanpete to have it carded in rolls. But sometimes they would card it themselves. Cynthia has carded rolls for her mother to spin the yarn. They would dig madder roots for her mother to color the yarn red. Cynthia knit her own stockings and some socks for her brothers.

They used to haul their grain to Sanpete County to get it ground into flour. Cynthia would go sometimes with her father. She went one time with her Aunt Armanda and was gone a week. When Cynthia was thirteen years old in the fall of 1878 she took typhoid fever. Her brother Orin and Sister Azelia had it a short time after she took it. They were all down at the same time. The doctor was away and they could not get one until she was almost dead. When the doctor came home inflammation had set in. They rung out clothes in hot water with lodlum in it and put it on her to draw it out. The people in the towns were good to help take care of them. They kept some one there all the while she was so bad to help take care of her. She was sick so long that she wanted to be baptized for her health. The creek ran through her fathers lot and was quite deep in places. Four men carried her on a blanket and baptized her in the creek. She was healed and dressed herself, but was very weak.

Cynthia was a great worker. Her mother had poor health and her sister Sarah had much to do. Cynthia tried to help and she thought she could to as much as her sister did.

Cynthia's father owned one seventh of the sheep herd. The men who owned it used to heard the sheep, each taking their turn. One time when her father was herding the sheep her mother got sick and Cynthia and her brother Orin went for him. They stayed in the mountains for two days and nights while their father went home. They caught little magpies, and would split the end of their tongues and they would talk like parrots.

The first time Cynthia ever saw a railroad train her father and she went to Juab for Christmas goods for the Cooperative Store. Her father drove an ox team and she drove a horse team just behind him. While they were loading their wagons they saw the trains coming. Her father drove the wagon across the track and Cynthia walked behind the wagon to see if any boxes fell off. As he crossed the track a box of glass window lights fell off. It was very heavy but she worked and lifted until she finally removed the box from the track and out of the way. The train came very close to her and whistled. She sure was frightened and she shook for a long time after. Snow was on the ground but she enjoyed seeing the train switch, even if she was frightened.

Cynthia's sister Sarah taught school two years in Lower Kanosh. She got married in the fall or November 27, 1881 and Cynthia taught in her place. She stayed at Barkdoll's place while teaching.

In the spring of 1884 Cynthia's father and mother were called to St. Johns, Arizona to help settle that country. The third of June 1884 they left Kanosh and started for Arizona with their family. They drove two wagons. The one the family rode in was a two horse team and the father drove this team. The other wagon was a four horse team and had all their things in it. It was driven by Peter Woolsey. They had a few riding ponies and quite a herd of cows, calves and yearlings. The boys, Orin and Van Buren, drove them. There were two hundred and two families called to settle Arizona and about that many more went with them. The road was lined with wagons and cattle. After they were called the young people of Kanosh came almost every night to dance and have parties before they should leave. Their house was large and they were moving so they took up their carpets and let them dance and play games. They enjoyed the parties, but it was hard for Walter to leave his dear mother and two brothers. His father was living but he lived at Monroe with his second wife and her family, so Walter was a long way from him anyway. Walter never saw his dear mother again in this life. She was very lonesome for her son but she loved her children to be obedient and said go where you are called to go.

While they were traveling and had gone so far as the head of the Sevier River, the man at the ferry on the Colorado River sent word for the teams not to come any farther for the Colorado River was so high they could not cross, and there was not feed at the ferry. The emigrants stayed over at this place for six weeks, and they camped in big crowds. On Sunday they held Sunday School and meeting. There was plenty of grass for their teams and cows and they all got fat. To pass the time away they went fishing in the Sevier River, and the young people went to Glendale to dances. Cynthia with her brother Orin, and sister Azelia would attend these dances. When they got word they could cross the Colorado River they moved on, but the river was still so high they had to cross at the upper ferry, and go over Lees Back Bone. They crossed on a skiff, taking their wagons to pieces and taking a part at a time. When they got to the Little Colorado River it was so high they had to ford it. The best teams in the company were put on the wagons to get them over all right. One team stopped and the wagon started to sink in the quicksand. The men waded in and took it out piece by piece. When they reached Snowflake, Arizona two of the Apostles were there. They released Walter and his family to go to the Gila Valley and settle there, but to not go back to Utah. So they went to the Gila Valley. They first went to Central, then later moved above Layton near Solomonville. Walter and Miles Ray bought three Mexican families out. It was one hundred and sixty acres of land, just above the old brewery. The Mexicans only had squatters rights, so Walter filed on the land as a homestead. Walter took eighty acres and Miles took eighty. The place had three Mexican houses on it, two adobe and one stockade. The Indians were so bad that Miles Ray and family decided to move to town so Walter bought him out.

Walter and family was not prepared for the storms in Arizona. They had raised a lot of chickens, and had them in and adobe coop. About August there came a storm and flood, the water went in their house, and it was soon as deep as the top of the stove, it had washed a hole through the house. It was just getting dark, and they had to leave the house and get on the wood pile. It was still raining and there was one flash of lightening after another. A little after midnight the storm ceased, and the flood water run down by morning. But when morning came they were heart sick. They had brought a lot of nice clothes with them from Utah. The flood waters had run over the tops of the trunks and the clothing was all wet, covered with mud, and ruined. Dry goods were very high in price. Gingham and calico was fifty cents a yard and everything in proportion.

The Indians were bad, but so were the Mexicans and cowboys. The Indians killed a few and did some stealing, but the Mexicans and cowboys did most of the stealing and blamed it on the Indians. The white men were forced to guard their cows and horses. There were more horses stolen than anything else. They would run them across the line into old Mexico, and then sell them. The Mexicans, before they would gather a band of horses, would sit up at night and dance and drink. So the men would watch their cattle closer, and sometimes prevent them being stolen. But when the cowboys would steal they would be more sly and no one would know it until they were gone.

There was a big grist mill in Safford and several large adobe graineries. President Layton owned the grist mill. His son Joseph was the miller. Usually he kept one of the granaries empty and they would use it for a dance hall. The cowboys would come in from the Klondyke, where they had cattle ranches, to the dances. They

would start a quarrel then get mad and shoot the lights out. The lights were candles. They came several Sundays about the time Sunday School was out and would ride up and down the street and shoot above the children's heads, because the children were Mormons. The men got tired of it and decided to put a stop to it. One Sunday Adam Welker, Tibbets and several others when they began to shoot, they took horses and guns and followed them shooting occasionally at them and they ran the cowboys home, and they hid because they were frightened. These men sent the cowboys invitations to stay away from their town and dances. That ended the trouble with the cowboys. Later the cowboys made dances and invited the Latter Day Saints t o come to them, then they began to come to the Mormon dances, but always acted as gentlemen.

At this time there were two bands of Indians on the war path, Geronimo, who had a big band, and the Kid, who had four or five young squaws and a few Indians. Geronimo and his band killed quite a lot of white people. One night they went through the Gila Valley plundering and stealing. Cynthia's mother was sick, and they stole some of their geese and quite a few horses. Cynthia, her brother Orin and sister Azelia, were in Layton to the dance. On their way home they were only just a short distance behind the Indians, but never realized what danger they were in. The next morning a bunch of white men followed them, the Indians killed two of them, they were the Wright brothers. Both were married men, one the father of Lorenzo (Lo) Wright. While they were coming in with the dead bodies about sixty or one hundred Indians had just passed. About four or five had stopped behind to beg from the Mexicans. The white men with the dead bodies saw the Indians and stopped the wagon, the horsemen jumped from their horses and were going to kill these Indians. Walter Barney (Cynthia's father) and Columbus Freeman threw up their hands and ran to the men, they had a hard time to keep the men from shooting the Indians. Cynthia and her sister Azelia and Lydia Freeman ran to the wagons and kept saying "Don't shoot those Indians, they are scouts and about one hundred are just on ahead in the mesquites, and will come back and kill all of us." So the white men let them go. In a short time there were about one hundred more scouts going towards Old Mexico. Cynthia came out of the house and walked towards the road to see the Indians. She looked around and saw her place surrounded by them, several came up even with her. They were real close and one of them dropped down and laid his gun across his knee and took aim at her. She was so frightened she could not move, she said she could feel the hair on her head raise, and her mouth went dry. It seemed several minutes but she never moved and the Indian got up and went on. She walked back to the house trembling and told her mother and sister what had happened. They saw some more coming so they slipped across the canal where the banks were covered with willows and ran to Solomonville, two miles away. They had two small sisters, Chloe and Lilly, Cynthia and Azelia carried them most of the way because they could not run fast enough. The town guards went to look for the Indians and found out they were scouts, so they took them home again.

In the summers the father and brothers would take the cows to Mount Graham. The chills and fever was so bad the women would go to the mountains for their health. One time, father, two brothers and sister Azelia and two little sisters were in the mountains. This left the mother and Cynthia alone on the ranch. Father took the shot gun with him leaving the 44 Henry rifle. Just before sundown a bunch of Mexicans came past their place, they stopped and told them the Indians had broke out and they had a small Mexican settlement about one half mile below them. Columbus Freeman was the only white family that lived there and they lived across the road from the Mexicans. Cynthia and her mother were quite uneasy. They had one adobe room where they slept. It had just one door and one window. They decided if the Mexicans came they could defend themselves. So they took the axe in the house so if they came the mother could use the axe and Cynthia could use the gun. They rolled the blind down, fastened the window down, and fastened the door. They went to bed, but before they went to sleep the Mexicans came to rob them. They had a dog, and the dog would not let them come up, they threw rocks at the dog, but Cynthia would yell "sick 'em." So they knew they were awake and they knew they always had a gun, so they were afraid to break in the house. They could peek out the side of the blind and see the Mexicans. They stayed there a long time throwing at and speaking to the dog. But they did not dare to shoot for fear they would be shot from within. They were drinking and having a Mexican dance, and stayed up all night. After they left the two women laid down but never slept. About midnight they came back again. Every time they would try to pass the dog, Cynthia would holler, " sick 'em." They left the second time, but came about four o'clock in the morning. The last time they came they seemed determined to get in. They kept throwing at the dog and they knew they were awake but they were cowards enough that they dared not shoot. To slip in on someone when they were asleep and kill them was their way. The mother and daughter decided not to let them in, if they attempted to break the door or window they would shoot them. They prayed that they would not have to shoot any of them or be harmed themselves and their prayers were answered even though they spent an awful night. Father never left them alone anymore.

Cynthia clerked in George Wheatley’s store in Layton, one winter, for a dollar a day. Most of the time the next three years she lived with Mrs. I. E. Solomon, at Solomonville. She did the sewing for the family and cleaned up her own room, and helped wait on tables at court time. A little Mexican girl worked for the same lady and took care of the children: At this place Cynthia received $5.00 a week as pay.

She married Alfred A. Barney, January 7, 1890 and he lived in Thatcher. They did not know of any relationship until after they found their genealogy, and in the 16th century they connect. They had a big wedding at Cynthia's parent's place near Solomonville, and were married by President Johnson of the St. Joseph Stake. They received many presents and had a lovely time. That night Alfred gave their wedding dance in his home town, Thatcher. It was several miles from Cynthia's home. Before the dance was out it started raining. It rained so hard they stayed at Alfred's parent's home all night. Cynthia's parents and brothers and sisters as well as Alfred's parents and brothers and sisters were there. They spread quilts all over the floor and put quilts over them and had a big family bed. It rained most of the next day, but they got a covered wagon and went to Cynthia's home.

There were not any banks and Walter T. Barney buried his money out along the ditch bank. The night of the wedding dance he sent his son Orin on a horse to get it for fear it would be washed away in the flood. He got the money all right but missed the dance.

Cynthia stayed with her mother until spring, while her husband, Alfred drove their brother-in-law's team (Haken Anderson) and freighted. In the spring of 1890 they moved to Mount Graham up Fry Canyon. Alfred logged for Joseph Allred all summer. In the fall of 1890 they moved to Cynthia's f'ather's place again, and while there her first child, Edna Lois was born January 25, 1891. Alfred's mother, Laura Barney waited on her. She was very ill and they sent for Dr. Groosbeck. The next spring they moved to Pima and rented Thomas Ransum's farm, but lived in one of Hakpn Anderson's houses down on the Dodge Canal. In June 1892 they went back to her mother's place and their second child Joel Alfred was born, June 26, 1892. Sister Smith waited on her. She also went to her mother's place when her third child, Fances Delilah, was born January 28, 1894. She was very ill, and Alfred's mother again waited on her. The next day they sent for Dr. Porter, and he doctored her for a long time. She had milk leg and abscess of the female parts, one after another. When the baby was about six weeks old they thought she was dying. Alfred straightened her out for dead, and said, "She is gone." Her father took the olive oil and administered to her and she came to and began to get well from then on.

In the spring of 1894 they bought a city lot of Bill Carter in Matthewsville (near Glenbar). They bought a lumber house and moved on the lot and lined it with adobes and plastered it and painted the plaster on the inside of the house. They had a large fire place and three rooms and this is the first house they owned. They bought another lot of Bill Carter and paid all down for it. He said he had to have it surveyed before he could give a deed. But he never did deed it to them. Alfred's brother Buren said he could sell it to Bill Carter's brother, Ed Carter, so Alfred traded it to Buren for some land in the field that Buren had bought from Joseph Greenough.

Their next baby Ada was born November 7, 1885, at this place in Matthewsville.

In the summer of 1897 they went to Utah to get their endowments and have their family sealed to them. Cynthia's brother Orin and family went also at the same time. They went through the Manti Temple, September 22, 1897. They took the train from Manti and went to Salt Lake City and there they went through the Salt Lake Temple. They went by Salina, Utah and saw Orin's wife's people. They went by Kanosh and visited their folks, Uncle Henry and Uncle Joseph. They went to Panguich and visited Alfred's sister Minerva Cameron. Alfred's mother was there and went home to Arizona with them. They were three months making the trip. They returned home to Matthewsville in the spring of 1898. Their next baby Alonzo Turner was born here July 11, 1898 and he died July 19th following. When he was born they used instruments and Cynthia was torn until she never had the use of her bladder until she was operated on 18 and one half years later. The baby's head was mashed in birth which caused his death. She was very ill for a long time afterwards. When Alfred was in Rice, building some Indian School Houses they thought she was dying. He came home and she was administered to and got some better. He went back to work and helped finish the job. She took real bad again. Her sister Sarah Anderson took her to her place in Pima. It was about three miles from her home and she could hardly stand the trip. The following Sunday the entire family fasted and prayed for her. After Sunday School Francis Kirby was called in to administer to her and they all kneeled around the bed and held a prayer circle. She was healed enough so she was out of her suffering and began to gain strength. In about nine weeks Alfred took his family to Thatcher. They stayed a little while at his sister Malina Nelson's and then to his mother's place. Alfred bought twenty one acres of land from Winfred Moody in Thatcher and they put a small granary on it and lived in this.

Alfred was released as Bishop's counselor in Matthewsville on account of his wife's health. So they made their home in Thatcher. Later they made another lumber room, and adobe room. In the spring of 1906 they bought a lease from David Matthews, their brother-in-law, that he had on Cynthia's father's place and moved up there for the summer. The next winter Alfred and his brother-in-law, Orsin Nelson, bought the Henry Dial ranch and farmed it for six years. They kept their home in Thatcher, and had a homestead adjoining it. Part of the time Cynthia would stay on this homestead alone to hold it, while the rest of the family would live on the ranch at Solomonville. They moved back to Thatcher after selling their ranch, and built a modern cement house.

Alfred went on a mission in March 1913 and returned in 1915. In 1914 Cynthia was very ill again. Patriarch Claridge and Alfred's father, Danielson B. Barney, who was also a Patriarch, blessed her and told her she was not going to die, but would get well and the Lord would give her genealogy, and she would do a lot of work in the Temples for her dead. This was all realized, and they have done a wonderful lot of temple and genealogical work since.

Their daughter Ada went on a mission to the Central States and left June 8, 1915. While she was on her mission in the fall of 1916 Cynthia was taken to E1 Paso, Texas, and operated on for a cancer. Her bladder was removed and fixed so she could use it again. Her mother was dead but her sister Chloe was taking care of her father, and she took care of Cynthia until she was able to return to her own home.

In September 1914 her daughter Frances was married to Joseph Alma Echols. Cynthia went with them to Salt Lake City where they were married in the temple there.

After Cynthia felt better from her operation she stayed about a month with her daughter Edna Scott in Pomerene. Her daughter Ada returned from her mission June 1, 1917. Her son Joel was to have gone on a mission to the Central States, but went to the army instead, as the government would not release him. He trained in Camp Funston, Kansas, in the light artillery. Later he was transferred to the Supply Department. He went over seas and was sixty days on the front in France. He returned home from the army June 8, 1919.

After they had lost their place in Thatcher in a law suit with John Sabin and Perry Tryon they had them a team and wagon and automobile and a few cows. Their son Joel was married to Florence Coons in March 1920, and their daughter Ada was married to Charles M. Plumb the same year, April 2nd.

On June 27, 1921 Alfred and Cynthia left Pomerene with a team and wagon for St. George, Utah to work in the temple. Many letters were written by Cynthia for genealogy and she started gathering it. They left Pomerene for St. George with a very small amount of money. It was so hot they got almost melted going to the Colorado River. They crossed the Colorado River July 20, 1921. They arrived in St. George, Utah July 30, 1921, with 75 cents. Alfred started in a few days to work for food, and Cynthia started to work in the temple, August 30, 1921. They could only go through then for three persons a week for endowment.. They started to work on the Turner records (Cynthia's father's, Mother's people.) But the greatest event was when they received about 10,000 names on the Barney lines. They had just a small record before. They received this in April 1922. Alfred would work in the temple too. If they had a weeks provisions he would go to the temple with his wife. They were blessed with plenty to eat and wear. Their daughter Edna Scott and family left Pomerene December 26, 1921 for St. George, Utah also. They had two teams and a covered wagon and arrived in St. George February 5, 1922. They went through the temple for their selves and had their three children sealed to them September 1, 1922. The St. George temple soon took two companies a day through and that would make seven a week they could do for. Their daughter Ada sold out their property in St. David, Arizona and left for St. George May 28, 1923. They came in a touring car and hired a truck to bring their things. They arrived in St. George June 5, 1923. They started working in the temple for the dead June 8, 1923. Not liking the country well enough they returned to Arizona the first of December 1923.

Alfred and Cynthia worked in the temple until it closed the last of June 1925. They decided to sell out what they had in St. George and return to Arizona. In a weeks time they were all sold out. They were invited to go to the Shepard reunion and told that there would be a lot of Barneys there. So they decided to go so they could see their relatives before returning. They left St. George July 8, 1925 and went to the Shepard and Barney reunion on the 10-11 of July 1925, up in Spanish Fork Canyon to Castilla Springs. They had a good time there, and planned for a Barney reunion six miles from Manti, Utah. They then started to Salt Lake City where their daughter Edna and family had moved. On their way they stopped at Cynthia's cousin Elizabeth Hill's place and visited about a week. While there they went with them to the 2nd Ward Reunion up Payson Canyon. They had a nice time then went on to Salt Lake City. They lived in the Sugarhouse Ward for a short time. Then moved to the Burton Ward, where their daughter Edna had bought a house and lot. They went for a short time up Provo Canyon to a Scott reunion in the son-in-laws truck. September 1, 1925 they went to the Barney reunion they had previously helped to arrange. There were 125 of the Barneys there at the reunion. They had a very good time. They organized a Barney family organization. They stayed there four days and then went to Elberta, Utah, with Cynthia's cousin Walter Barney, his mother Armanda Barney and his family. They stayed there and Alfred helped him thrash his grain. They went to Salt Lake City again. Bennoni Scott had decided to give the house and lot up he had bought and buy another on 23rd South and West Temple. Cynthia and Alfred rented part of their house and started working in the Salt Lake Temple and the Genealogical Society. They stayed there until November. They then planned again on going to Arizona. Alfred had been in Elberta in October and helped gather fruit, and he still had some coming for his wages. So he went by Elberta to get it and get his car fixed. They waited in Elberta two weeks. Cynthia even had lunch fixed to go on with when Alfred decided they had better stay. It was a disappointment to Cynthia and their children in Arizona.

Bishop Penrod and the Bishop there in Elberta came to Cynthia and said he had got down on his knees and prayed for the Lord to send some one to Elberta who could look after the genealogical work there in the ward. No one understood that work and the Lord had sent her in answer to his prayers. She was willing then to stay where the Lord wanted her and where she could do some good. They returned to Salt Lake City and stayed one week, then came back to Elberta and took care of Walter Banrey's things while they took their son Arnold to Salt Lake to go on a mission. December 11, 1925 they moved to Rose's place and took care of his 25 acre orchard. Alfred started to work for him December 13, 1925. Their recommends were read in the Elberta Ward December 20, 1925. Cynthia was chosen teacher of the Theological class in Sunday School in the Elberta Ward December 20, 1925. On January 12, 1926 she was put in Relief Society teacher. Alfred was put in Ward Teacher January 2, 1926. Alfred was sustained as President of Genealogical Society and Cynthia as assistant. Cynthia was put in teacher of the Adult group, M. I. A. 1928.

In May 1929 their daughter Ada and children came to visit them in Elberta staying about four weeks.

Their son Joel and family had moved to Utah also and he was operated on for appendicitis in Payson. He was very ill and was in the hospital for ten weeks. But he finally recovered. He bought property also in Elberta. Their daughter Edna and family also bought property there, but afterwards moved to Payson, Utah.

In July 1931 their daughter Ada and family visited them again on their return trip around the U. S. Then April Conference 1934, Ada and husband, visited them again. Also October Conference 1934.

Many trips have Alfred and Cynthia made to Manti and Salt Lake temples doing temple work, making thousands of the dead rejoice, with their labors. They remain in Salt Lake City months at a time doing this kind of work. In the summer of 1935, Cynthia was again very ill, with hemorrhages, but she recovered and is feeling quite well again.

October 1936 Ada and husband, also Frances their daughter, visited them on their way to Salt Lake City at Conference. This was the first time they had seen their daughter Frances since leaving Arizona. ennoi Scott, Delilah's son-in-law, died November 1936. Ada again went up to his funeral and visited her parents for a week. Cynthia Delilah was very much grieved over his death.

Every winter Cynthia and her husband spent doing temple work either in Manti or Salt Lake temples, but their home was in Payson, where they lived when the temples were closed, also at times when their health was not so good and they could not always go. Cynthia compiled a lot of genealogical records on her lines and that of her husband.

November 28, 1938, their son Joel Alfred Barney passed away at his home in Elberta, Utah. Cynthia and Alfred were in Manti at the time of his death. It was a real sorrow and grief to lay away their only son. His funeral was held in the Elberta Ward, but he was buried in the Payson Cemetery. Ada and Frances, their daughters from Arizona, and their daughter Edna of Payson, were all in attendance at the funeral, making the entire family together. Cynthia never seemed so well after the death of her son Joel. The health of herself and husband soon failed. They were not strong enough to do temple work continuously as they had done before.

November 4, 1940 Cynthia had a stroke while sitting with her husband around the fire, in their own home in Payson. She fell from her chair to the floor unable to talk for a few hours. Her left side was paralyzed. Alfred ran to their granddaughter's, Lois Wickers, for help. She and her husband came and assisted getting Cynthia up and on the bed. Lois, the granddaughter, and her daughter Edna took care of her and did everything possible for her comfort. Her daughter-in-law Florence, (Joel's wife) who was living in Arizona left her family and went to Payson November 17, 1940 and assisted in taking care of Cynthia, staying there until December 22nd when she returned to her home in Arizona.

November 27th gangrene set in her left foot that was paralyzed. December 1, 1940, her daughter Ada left her family in Arizona and went to Payson to help take care of her mother. The gangrene gradually climbed up her leg to just above the knee. The skin all sloughed off and it was rotten and decayed and the odor was terrible. She suffered untold misery with her decaying leg. But her faith was so strong that at times she would pray for God to relieve her suffering and he would to such an extent that she could rest, as the Doctor did not give her anything to relieve her pain. She thought at times she would die, other times she had faith she would be healed. Her husband Alfred was very much worried and stricken with sorrow at her terrible condition. Through the advice of the doctor she was taken to the hospital in Payson Sunday afternoon, January 4, 1941 and January 5th at 11:45 a.m. she was operated on, having her left leg amputated just below the hip. Her daughter Ada was with her during the operation, never leaving the hospital day or night until Wednesday morning January 8th when she thought her mother's condition improved, and she left for her home in Arizona. Cynthia after being operated on never came out from under the ether until 5 a.m. Tuesday morning January 7th. Her heart was exceptionally good only having to have one heart stimulant given her. She was kept under the oxygen tank for 20 hours after the operation. When she came out from under the anesthetic she was very rational, but so low you could hardly hear her speak or even tell she was breathing. In an hour or two her pain was very severe and she was given a hypo. She next became conscious Tuesday evening about 7 p.m. at which time her eyes were brighter and she seemed better than she had for a long time. Wednesday morning January 8th before Ada left she was feeling as good as could be expected. Her granddaughter Lois and her daughter Edna were at the hospital continuously. Her leg healed fine and the stitches were taken out Saturday. She developed a cough and fever and passed away January 14, 1941 at 4":30 p.m. Her daughter Edna was at her bedside, in the Payson Hospital. Her funeral services were held in the Payson 2nd. ward January 17, 1941 at two p.m. Many lovely tributes were given her at this time. She was buried in the Payson cemetery. She left a husband,, three daughters, quite a number of grand children and great grand children.

LOVING TRIBUTE TO AUNT DELILAH BARNEY Read at her funeral by Hazel Mortenson

We call her, Aunt Delilah. That seemed the only name we could give her. She even seemed nearer than a dear Aunt. Her grandfather and my grandfather Barney were brothers. Aunt Delilah came into our lives at a reunion a long time ago and she has been an inspiration to us ever since, whenever or where ever we met.

She said the last time we saw her that she talked a lot and I said to her, it was always good talk. Her whole ambition was to do the work of the master and she was always busy doing just that. She labored for her loved ones here to make them comfortable and happy and her work for her kindred dead was uppermost in her mind at all times. She has gathered many thousands of names and has worked in many of the temples for the same. Surely her name is on the Lamb's Book of Life and she has gone to a great reward. She is surely a Savior on Mount Zion. At the time she was taken sick she had a great many more names ready to do the work for. And she did so want her relatives here to help her to get that work done. She surely did encourage all with whom she came in contact to make themselves ready to go to the temple, where we can all receive the greatest blessings that can be had on earth. She sure did teach the wonderful message of our Heavenly Father both by precept and example.

She did not seek for the riches and fame of this worldly life. Her time and the little she was blessed with here was spent in laying up treasures in Heaven where moth and rust does not corrupt nor thieves break in and steal. I believe that everyone who knew her would say the same. She lived a wonderful life and I believe she was very happy. How could she do other wise? She always tried to do right and that is what makes for happiness on this earth. Doing all the good we can to all with whom we come in contact.

She was a devoted wife and mother and her husband and children will miss her so much, but they should not mourn too much for they know their loss is her gain. Her body here was racked with pain, but she suffered uncomplainingly: It is wonderful that she could be released from pain and sorrow. I would say to her dear husband, children and grand children, "You did all in your power to make her comfortable. Nothing you could do was left undone, and now there is nothing you can do but live the wonderful life she has taught you to live. That is what will make her happy, and to finish up the wonderful work that she was unable to finish. That was her great desire and may your Heavenly Father help you do that. May he comfort and cheer you as you journey through life. It won't be long at the most when we will all go on the same journey as she has gone. I earnestly pray that we may be as sure of our reward as we are of hers."


Just a loving thought on a Lovely wife, Mother, Sister, Aunt and Friend as was Aunt Delilah.


We will not think, that she is dead,
But merely that she's gone ahead.
We will not think that life is done
But that with death it's well begun;

Her passing was no idle chance
She gave this life no backward glance.
With laughing eyes, and happy smile
She went ahead, a little while.

At night we pray, "Lord is she dead,
The answer comes, "Just gone ahead."

May our Heavenly Father ever bless you, Her dear husband and helpmate; your dear children and all who have cause to mourn on this occasion and may He ever comfort and help you and us all to live as good a life as she did is my humble wish and Prayer. Amen.

Your relative; (signed) Elsie Barney Nielson.


Prelude: Laura Wightman
Song: "Resting Now From Care and Sorrow", by the Relief Society Chorus
Opening Prayer: Charles H. Patton
Tribute to Aunt Delilah: Read by Hazel Mortenson
Duet: "A Divine Call" Sung by Alice Hill and Lelle Parker
Speaker: Bishop Jasper P. Hill. He gave a brief history of her in his talk
Song: "Softly and Tenderly", by the Relief Society Chorus
Speaker: John C. Taylor, Who was their Sunday School teacher in this ward.
Bishop's counselor: Arza 0. Page, paid a tribute to her himself and then read a tribute sent Special
Delivery from President Robert D. Young of Manti Temple.
Solo: "Perfect Day" by Irene Provstgaard
Benediction: Wayland R. Wightman (Pres. of Nebo Stake)

Return to HomePage